The 550-bed Apollo Hospitals, Navi Mumbai, provides people easy accessibility to advanced technologies for precise diagnosis and treatment.
1. Apollo Hospitals, Navi Mumbai provides people easy accessibility to advanced technologies.
Apollo Hospitals, Navi Mumbai ushers in advanced multi-speciality tertiary care in Western India with comprehensive and integrated super speciality services under one roof. The hospital has a team of renowned expert consultants to provide people easy accessibility to advanced technologies for precise diagnosis and treatment. The facility offers advanced personalised health check programmes tailor-made for individuals.
Clinical Excellence – Apollo Hospitals has pioneered clinical excellence in India and it is one of the Group’s proudest legacies. The unit boasts of renowned consultants and the focus is on high-quality patient experience in all aspects. It thrives to deliver clinical outcomes comparable to the very best in the world.
Infrastructure – It is a 500-bed facility and has access to world-class technologies and equipment. Spread over 7,00,000 square feet Apollo Hospitals, Navi Mumbai houses more than 50 specialties, equipped with state-of-the art equipment and offers multi-disciplinary high-end tertiary care including:
• 13 State-of-the-art operation theatres
• 120 ultra-modern ICU beds including NICU and PICU manned round the clock by critical care specialists
• Dedicated personalized health checks
• State-of-the-art laboratory & medical diagnostics
• 69 consultation suites
• 24/7 Emergency Medical Services and Pharmacy
• Dedicated emergency access number – 1066
• International patient services par excellence
• Spacious single rooms
• 4500 square feet of presidential suites
- Technology – Apollo Hospitals has always been ahead of the curve in terms of technology. Apollo Hospitals, Navi Mumbai, has state-of-the-art technologies, enhanced patient care, better patient experience and precise diagnoses with lowest dose :
- 128 slice CT Scan
- 3 Tesla MRI
- 500 MA & 800 MA Digital X-Ray
- AlluraClarity – Cath lab with 3D OCT technology for laser sharp imaging
* Reduced radiation (X-ray) dose by an average of 50% with equivalent image quality for diagnosis in cardiac angiography
* Advanced Image Processing Technology that leads to accurate stent placement
* Flexible Digital Imaging Pipeline (Tailored to each & every application)
- High-end diagnostics: ECG, EEG, EMG, Holter, Sleep study, PFT, Spirometry, Nerve Conduction Velocity (NCV), Stress Test, 2D Echo, 4D, USG with Colour Doppler
- Digital Mammogram
* Intelligent 3D stereotactic biopsy system with high image quality
* Unique feature of OPDOSE for best image quality with lowest dose with lowest dose
* Flexible modular platform for screening, diagnosis and biopsy
* Unique feature of OPCOMP for optimal compression to avoid discomfort Apollo Hospitals in Navi Mumbai is the 66th hospital of the group.
2. Dignitaries at the Inaugural ceremony – L to R: Suneeta Reddy, Dr Prathap C Reddy, Devendra Fadnavis, CH Vidyasagar Rao, Dr Deepak Sawant, Preetha Reddy and Professor Ian Jacobs.
Apollo Heart Institute
Apollo Heart Institutes is one of the top cardiac centres in the world, performing a multitude of treatments and procedures in cardiology and cardiothoracic surgery. AlluraClarity, Cath Lab at Apollo Hospitals, Navi Mumbai is the most advanced cardiac Cath Lab in Maharashtra. It provides high quality imaging for a comprehensive range of clinical procedures, achieving excellent visibility at low X-ray dose levels for patients of all sizes.
Image Guided Stenting
The advanced cath lab is equipped with Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) OPTIS, a technology for optimization of angioplasty and stenting through its metal stent optimization (MSO) and fly-through mode technology. It helps in deciding the precise length and diameter of the stent to be deployed to its full expansion and apposition. It helps in informed decision making, greater efficiency and improved procedural effectiveness,* especially in patients with complex lesions. This technology minimises the risk of immediate or late clotting of the stent and the risk of re-narrowing in the future. Clinical studies have proven the benefits of OCT Guided Stenting. Therefore, recommending a routine use of OCT Guided Image stenting for deploying bioresorbable stents, helps in superior clinical outcomes with lowest risk of re-narrowing and clot formation and better quality of life for the patients.
3. AlluraClarity - Adavanced Cath Lab.
AlluraClarity – Cath Lab
Apollo Hospitals, Navi Mumbai is using OCT OPTIS in routine clinical utility and precisely targets the lesions exactly and helps deploying the stents with the best outcomes. The author of this article is Dr Nikhil Parchure, consultant, cardiology, Apollo Hospitals, Navi Mumbai.
Coronary Bypass Surgery
Coronary Bypass Surgery remains the gold standard for treating chronic advanced coronary disease,as it is the only modality (versus optimal medical therapy (OMT) and Percutaneous Transluminal Coronary Angioplasty (PTCA)) which improves patient survival, improves the pumping of the heart for long term and offers long term freedom from getting a heart attack, with symptomatic relief from angina(chest pain). Hybrid surgery has come into vogue where minimally invasive surgery is combined with PTCA to allow patient discharge from hospital in 3-4 days with only a 4 cm cut. Today most valve surgeries can be done through 2 to 3 small chest and groin incisions
Transcatheter valve replacement (TAVR) for the aortic valve is also an established procedure for high risk patients. Minimally invasive CABG is currently in an evolutionary phase but for select patients it is being used with a likely upsurge in the near future as technology and instrumentation improve.
The future of cardiac surgery lies in minimally invasive CABG for complex chronic disease, PTCA for acute coronary disease state and OMT for the majority of the intermediate patient subsets. The biggest dilemma in Coronary disease treatment is that we are basing it on epicardial coronary disease without quantitating the micro vasculature which is 5-50 times in size.
Objective assessment of the microvasculature will allow us to quantitate how much this million years- in- evolution human body has tried to help itself with natural bypasses , thus allowing us to choose cost saving OMT as the treatment of choice versus expensive interventions The author of the article is Dr Shantesh Kaushik, consultant- cardiovascular and thoracic surgery, Apollo Hospitals, Navi Mumbai.
Back or Neck pain is one of the top three reasons to visit a doctor. It doesn’t mean that everyone needs a surgery. More than 90-95% of the patients get better without surgery. However, the consequences of neglecting the remaining 5% ends up in a catastrophe like paralysis. Red flags to look for are:
• Weight loss
• Pain at rest/ at night
• Blood in urine/ stools
• Weakness or paralysis in the upper or lower limbs
• Loss of urinary or bowel control
• First incidence of severe back pain at a very young or a very old age
The presence of back/ neck pain with any of the above listed symptoms must be examined by a Spine Surgeon immediately.
Apollo Hospitals, Navi Mumbai offers Intra-Operative Neurophysiological Monitoring, which gives spine surgery protection from its most feared complication – paralysis. This device constantly monitors the functioning of the spinal cord and nerves. It has the ability to warn the surgeon foractual/ impending damage to the spinal cordor nerves during surgery
4. Back or Neck pain is one of the top three reasons to visit a doctor.
The Neuro-Navigation guided screw placement helps eliminate the human error in spine instrumentation surgery. It has been observed that 4.9% of non-navigated screws need to be revised intra-operatively as compared to 0.6% of navigated screws.
The O-Arm– intra-operative CT scanner – permits safer screw placement when linked to a navigational software program.
BMP (Bone Morphogenic Protein), a human bone forming agent reproduced by recombinant technology is used for spinal fusion eliminating the need for bone removal (grafting) from other parts of body and the associated complications like pain, fractures at donor site. Today with improvements in technology and dedicated Spine Surgeons, spine surgery has become safe. Minimally Invasive Surgery using microscopes, endoscopes, neuromonitoring and specialized instrumentation has dramatically changed the perspective of surgery for the spine. The author of the article is Dr Ram Chaddha, consultant, spine surgeon, Apollo Hospitals, Navi Mumbai.
Osteoarthritis, sometimes called degenerative joint disease or osteoarthrosis, is the most common form of arthritis. Osteoarthritis occurs when cartilage in your joints wears down over time. It leads to progressive worsening of pain, stiffness, decreased range of movement of the affected joint. Radiographs are reasonable in diagnosing osteoarthritis along with signs and symptoms. In advance arthritis, joint space is decreased most marked in weight bearing X- rays along with sclerosis of bones and osteophytes (bony spur). The resulting deformity may cause ligament imbalance, muscle wasting and degenerate meniscus (cartilage) tears.
Joint replacement arthroplasty where the diseased joints are replaced by prosthetic joint has made a huge significant in successfully managing the patients and increasing the quality of life.
With advert of implants it’s now possible to undertake complex Revision Surgeries which can also be done on young patients. If the knee replacement fails due to some reason, you may be recommended a second surgery—revision surgery. In this procedure, some or all the parts of the original prosthesis are replaced with new ones. Real advantage of this surgery is freedom from pain, mobility and improved quality of life. The revision surgery is a longer, more complex procedure that requires extensive planning, and specialized implants and tools to achieve a good result.
At Apollo Hospitals, Navi Mumbai the experts along with the best of the techniques and world class care, are proved of giving the best outcomes. The author of the article is Dr Vikram Paode, consultantorthopaedics & trauma, Apollo Hospitals, Navi Mumbai.
Total joint Arthroplasty (THA) is one of the most commonly performed and successful operations in orthopaedics for patients with hip pain due to a variety of conditions. THA can relieve pain, can restore function, and can improve quality of life.
Total Hip Replacement is a surgical procedure whereby the diseased articular surfaces are replaced with synthetic materials (Implants), thus relieving pain and improving joint kinematics and function. A ball, usually metal, will replace the worn head of your thighbone. A cup, usually plastic, replaces your hip socket. New technology and materials has improved the artificial joints, allowing them to withstand more stress and strain and last longer.
The new joint glides smoothly and within a few days after surgery the pain reduces. However, the new hip will have limited motion and require special care post surgery. Total hip replacements have been performed successfully at all ages, from the young teenager with juvenile arthritis to the elderly patient with degenerative arthritis. For the appropriate candidate, THA can be a life-altering procedure that relieves pain, improves function, and enhances quality of life.
With normal use and activity, the material between the head and the socket of every hip replacement implant begins to wear. Excessive activity or being overweight may speed up this normal wear and cause the hip replacement to loosen and become painful. Therefore, most surgeons advise against high-impact activities such as running, jogging, jumping, or other high-impact sports. With appropriate activity modification, hip replacements can last for many years. However, because more people are having hip replacements at a younger age, and wearing away of the joint surface becomes a problem after 15 to 20 years, replacement of an artificial joint, which is also known as revision surgery, is becoming more common.
The author of the article is Dr Prashant Agarwal, consultant- orthopaedic surgeon, Apollo Hospitals, Navi Mumbai
Liver & HPB Surgery
Despite the lifelong regenerative properties of the human liver, liver disease is common and increasing in incidence. During its early stages, there are few obvious signs or symptoms. Some specific liver diseases which can scar the liver are: Alcohol-related liver disease, Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, Viral Hepatitis, Haemochromatosis, Primary biliary cirrhosis and Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis.
Key Hepato-Pancreato Biliary (HPB) Procedures:
• Liver Resection- The most common procedure performed on the liver is a resection (removal of a portion of the liver). The most typical indication for liver resection is a malignant tumour. Tumours can be primary (developed in the liver – e.g. hepatoma, cholangiocarcinoma) or metastatic (developed in another organ most commonly the bowel, migrated to the liver). Single tumours or multipletumours confined to the liver can be successfully resected with 5-year survival as high as 50-60%, provided a small part of tumour free liver can be retained. Benign tumours of the liver (e.g.: cystadenoma, liver adenoma) can be successfully managed by liver resection as well.
• Biliary Surgery – These operations are performed for benign and malignant bile duct strictures. Benign strictures occur after gall bladder surgery and require specialist teams to treat these complex problems.
• Pancreatic Surgery – Pancreatic resections are offered to patients with pancreatic tumours as well as selected patients with chronic pancreatitis At Apollo Hospitals, Navi Mumbai the team for HPB disease consists of specialist surgeons addressing all medical and surgical diseases related to the liver, pancreas and bile ducts. Liver disease also affects children, many of whom acquire disease in infancy.
Paediatric liver diseases are best managed at specialist units by multidisciplinary teams comprising of paediatric hepatologists, infectious disease specialists and paediatric surgeons including transplant surgeons. Apollo Hospitals, Navi Mumbai, has one of the most comprehensive paediatric liver treatment facilities available, which also includes multiple consultations with appropriate members of the paediatric multidisciplinary team, and a basic set of liver and pancreato-biliary investigations. The author of the article is Prof Dr Darius F Mirza, consultant- HPB and transplant surgeon, Apollo Hospitals, Navi Mumbai.
Advanced Laparoscopy Surgery
Laparoscopic surgery, also called minimal access surgery, has revolutionised the field of surgery over the past few years. Laparoscopy allows a surgeon to access the inside of the abdomen without making large incisions in the skin. It can be used to help diagnose a wide range of conditions that develop inside the abdomen or pelvis. It can also be used to carry out surgical procedures, such as removing a damaged or diseased organ, or removing a tissue sample for further testing Advantages of laparoscopy over traditional open surgery include shorter hospital stay and faster recovery time, less pain, less blood loss during surgery and reduced scarring. Laparoscopic cholecystectomy has become the standard of care for patients with symptomatic gallstones. In the laparoscopic procedure, the gallbladder is removed through small incisions in the abdomen, rather than the larger incision used in open cholecystectomy. The author of the article is Dr Shalin Dubey, Consultant-GI & Laparoscopic Surgeon at Apollo Hospitals, Navi Mumbai.
Colon and rectal diseases comprise a broad range of conditions and ailments, the severity of which can vary from mildly irritating to life threatening conditions.
Common Colorectal diseases & symptoms include:
• Piles or Haemorrhoids: Painless rectal bleeding with anal lumps,
• Anal fissure: Severe anal pain on defecation with some bleeding,
• Anal fistula: Pus and blood discharge with pain,
• Anal abscess: Painful lump in anal area, fever,
• Colitis: Loose stools, mucous, blood,
• Colon & Rectal cancer: rectal bleeding, constipation, loose stools, anaemia, weight loss Presence of any of these diseases or symptoms requires further assessment and treatment by a specialist. Research has demonstrated that early screening and treatment of colon & rectal diseases can significantly decrease the morbidity and mortality associated with it.
At Apollo Hospitals, Navi Mumbai, laparoscopic colorectal resections considered the gold standard worldwide, is offered for both benign and malignant conditions. A range of other procedures like ventral rectopexy for rectal prolapsed, sigmoidopexy for volvulus and ACE procedure for slow transit constipation is also offered at the centre.
Advantages of laparoscopic colorectal resection over traditional surgery: less intra-operative blood loss, lesser intensity of postoperative pain, quicker return of normal bowel function, total morbidity and local (surgical) morbidity is significantly lower, shorter hospital stay and better quality of life.
The author of this article is Dr Charita Pradhan, consultant- general surgery, Apollo Hospitals, Navi Mumbai.